BAKU, Dec. 3 (Xinhua) -- Azerbaijan announced on Thursday that it lost a total of 2,783 servicemen in the latest round of its armed conflict with Armenia in Nagorno-Karabakh that erupted on Sept. 27 and was brought to a halt by a Russia-brokered ceasefire.
Work was still ongoing to identify 103 soldiers among the total casualties, using DNA analysis, the country's defense ministry said in a statement.
More than 100 Azerbaijani servicemen went missing, the authorities said, adding that 1,245 servicemen are being treated in medical facilities.
Earlier on Nov. 14, Armenian health ministry spokeswoman Alina Nikoghosyan confirmed via her social media platform that the country's forensic service has examined the bodies of 2,317 dead Armenian servicemen.
Moreover, over 600 bodies of servicemen were found during the search operations in the Nagorno-Karabakh region, according to the report of Armenia's media outlet Armenpress on Wednesday.
Armenia and Azerbaijan have been at loggerheads over the mountainous region of Nagorno-Karabakh since 1988. The latest round of armed conflict broke out in the region in September, causing heavy casualties and property losses.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a ceasefire deal, in which the three sides agreed on a complete ceasefire in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict zone starting from Nov. 10.